budget increases

The municipality of eThekwini has asked for your input on the proposed tariff increases in the draft budget. Please use the form below to add your name and comment.

If you object or support the budget, please give a reason why. Should you be at a loss for words, read the summary, live feed or documents below the form. Feel free to copy and paste into the message area provided. If you don’t take any action, your inaction will be regarded as tacit agreement.

2218 comments sent so far.

I would like to comment on (required)

A copy of your message will be sent to you along with an automated proof of receipt. Check your junk mail folder if you can’t find it.

Help activate your community by sharing this to Facebook.

SUMMARY

WATER The proposed water tariff increase is 15% for domestic and 15.5% for business.

SANITATION The proposed sanitation tariff increase is 9.9%.

ELECTRICITY The proposed electricity municipal tariff increase is 6.84% over and above Eskom’s upcoming 30% increase.

RATES The proposed rates increase (average) is 6,9% which is substantially above the current annual inflation rate of around 4.4%

REFUSE The proposed refuse tariff increase is 9,9% and is also above the current annual inflation rate of around 4.4%.

LIVE FEED OF COMMENTS SENT

Displaying newest 10 comments sent. Reload the page to see more.

2018-08-17 07:47:49 +02:00
Charity
Our city is filthy ,so what are they talking about, why do we have to foot the bill when corrupt leaders don't pay back and don't get prosecuted,worse meters are not read we are just charged huge amounts,people must stop being lazy and do their jobs if they fail ,there's lots of unemployed people who will not sit on their bums
2018-06-25 19:42:47 +02:00
Thomas
I believe that if the department was managed correctly from the beginning we wouldn't e in this predicament now!
Definitely not the consumer's fault!
I object to the new budget, thank you
2018-06-25 14:40:52 +02:00
Sarah
We are paying a huge amount of money each month for each of the above services but I would like to particularly mention the electricity account.

We have not had an account where the meter has been read ALL YEAR yet the technician comes faithfully each month and we let him in to do his job. He says that he passes the information to the department who employs him but it doesn't reach the accountants!!

We cannot keep paying the same amount each month just to keep the lights on especially when we have been away from our home for 2 months and still the same amount is debited against our name.

NO PLEASED at all and when the new tariff increases come into play it will make the whole situation much worse. These new increases are way above what they should be and we get no extra services at all
2018-06-25 07:11:17 +02:00
Georg
The above costs are increasing with such a rate that my income can not cover it anymore.

From our side we are trying to save with water tanks as well as energy saving globes on the electricity side. We are also very involve in the recycle system and really trying from our side.
2018-06-22 11:17:41 +02:00
Jay
Dear Ethekwini
With our current bill, we have to make restrictions to pay, if you add an increase, we will go below poverty line. How much more much we restrict to pay , water,lights,rates, and sanitation.
Please consider the poor.
2018-06-21 14:25:57 +02:00
Rafiek
To Whom It May Concern
we are living in very sad times under a government who stood up to make life easy for the very poor people of our country, if one has to take the increases that are proposed are a waste of good money from the very poor to support Councillors, they cannot in any way deny this, i suggest that they get rid of most useless Councillors in the Ethekwini and use this money that they need to compensate their budget for the year , any other increase from government to the poor, we stand a great chance of crippling this economy and we are the worst province in the country, instead of promoting the very poor, they play Robin wood by taking from middle class to make life even more difficult for the poor and use up this monies for benefiting municipality staff salary, ask all staff of local government not to take a raise for the year and lets see their commitment to this proposal, it wont happen, they are mosquito's, will suck the blood of the poor people, i object to these raises.
2018-06-20 16:27:23 +02:00
Helen
I am a widow and a pensioner with a fixed income as it is I struggle to pay for these amenities. You have done no maintenance in our area as far as I know so what am I paying more for? The trouble is 30% of the population is paying for the other 70%.
2018-06-20 16:27:23 +02:00
Helen
I am a widow and a pensioner with a fixed income as it is I struggle to pay for these amenities. You have done no maintenance in our area as far as I know so what am I paying more for? The trouble is 30% of the population is paying for the other 70%.
2018-06-20 11:29:17 +02:00
HLUMSILE
there is no need for these tariffs increase in my area sometimes they don't collect the refuse and we don't even have a proper sanitation
2018-06-15 09:16:10 +02:00
Slindile
Its a pity that in this country everything is increasing except for salaries, levels of unemployment are skyrocketting, these increases have a huge impact on the marginalized sector of society as people are struggling to even feed themselves.

POINTS TO NOTE

The 2018/19 financial year’s Medium Term budget, which was approved by Council, is a consolidated budget of R45.8 billion which has been developed with an overall planning framework and includes programmes and projects to achieve the City’s strategic objectives.

The tabled report states that despite increasingly challenging circumstances, service delivery will continue to be sustained through this budget by reprioritising expenditure to ensure that key objectives are achieved.

The operating budget, which funds the continued provision of services provided by the municipality, has increased from R37.2 billion in the 2017/18 financial year to R38.7 billion in the 2018/19 financial year, R41.7 billion in the 2019/20 financial year and R45.2 billion in the 2020/21 financial year respectively.

The growth of the operating budget is mainly due to repairs and maintenance of infrastructure, cost of addressing service delivery backlogs, cost of bulk purchases namely water and electricity, impact of capital spending on operating expenditure and employee related costs as a result of filling vacancies and provision for salary increases.

Capital expenditure is budgeted to rise to R7 billion in the 2018/19 financial year, and thereafter to R7.7 billion by 2020/21. R17.3 billion (approximately 79 percent) is allocated to meeting infrastructure and household service needs and backlogs over the medium term.

Child-headed households, disability grantees and the medically boarded are exempt from paying rates on the first R460 000 of their property value. Residential properties valued up to R230 000 will be exempt from paying rates. All other properties valued above R230 000, the first R120 000 of rates will be charged.

Regarding pensioners property value – the maximum limit of R4 million provided that for those properties above R2 million, the monthly income from a pensions fund/SASSA does not exceed R7 000 per annum.

eThekwini-tariffs

DOCUMENTS

Download the Draft Budget 2018/19

Download Notice 177